The Walking Dead, Book One - Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn I’m starting to get a little antsy in anticipation of the return of The Walking Dead to AMC (according to their website season 2 should be starting back up on October 16th, yay!). So to hold me over until then, I figured I’d read the graphic novel series on which it’s based. I was really surprised how much the TV show has changed the original storyline. I figured since it’s a graphic novel with a layout very similar to storyboards that they’d just convert it frame by frame into a TV show. But the characters are a lot different with in some cases completely polar personalities and altered backgrounds. Some characters die or don’t even exist in the book (or at least not in this first one of the series) that do in the show. Either way though (book or show), the stories are gripping, exciting, touching, visually stimulating, and overall awesome. I’ve never even been a real fan of zombies, at least not until I started watching the show. I’m a pretty big scaredy-cat so zombies (on my scale of all the things that scare the holy bejesus out of me) were right below clowns and just above creepy dolls. So if there’s a movie (or book or TV show or anything really) that features a zombie clown who goes around carrying a creepy porcelain doll with a sly knowing smirk on its face, please don’t tell me about it. I’d never be able to sleep again. So when my husband kept telling me that I should watch The Walking Dead with him when it premiered last October I was hesitant and afraid. It did end up giving me nightmares and I did begin to think I was seeing rotting corpses out of the corner of my eye when the lights were off, but I couldn’t stop watching it. The story is just so intriguing and amazingly done that I had to know what was going to happen to these characters next. So even if you’re afraid of zombies, give this series a shot because you might be pleasantly surprised. Maybe start out with the graphic novels first though since they’re not as lifelike and bloody and gooey as the TV series (although the illustrations are definitely extraordinarily detailed and gory). I can’t wait to pick up the next book from the library!