Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut Reviewing a classic, especially one as popular as this, is quite intimidating and difficult. Vonnegut's writing style is hard to describe - it seems so casual, so careless, and then there's a sentence that's pure genius and you're astounded that you haven't been taking him seriously this whole time. I was thrown by Billy Pilgrim's spinelessness and idiocy, just stumbling around slack-jawed and smiling at everyone while there's a war going on, and my anger at him made me miss the importance of what he was representing and what Vonnegut was trying to say about war and genocide and death (so it goes). I wish I had to read this in high school so that I could've had a structured discussion of it and learned more about it. As it is though, I guess I'll just have to revisit it sometime later and perhaps read some SparkNotes along with it so I don't miss any of the metaphors and allusions. I feel like this is a 5-star book if I could only have understood more of it, so I'll give it another go sometime in the future. Very impressive book, definitely a must-read and an eye-opener to the atrocities of war, specifically the Dresden bombings. I'd like to research that further and read more about it, so maybe a war book will be next on my to-read list. Best line ever:

"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt."

I love that.