Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir - Jenny Lawson This is a hard one to rate because on the one hand, I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud as hard or as often as I did while reading this. Like I'm pretty sure my co-workers thought I was crying uncontrollably in my cubicle for a couple days in a row because I was trying to stifle my periodic bursts of screeching laughter and it came out a kind of awkward muffled sob. On the other hand, Jenny Lawson annoyed the shit out of me several times while reading this - like I wanted to shake her and tell her to stfu and just quit trying so hard for god's sakes. I guess the middle ground would be 3 stars, but since I laughed so much I'll give it 4. Because I'm nice like that.

I had never heard of Jenny Lawson before, but after reading this book I looked at her blog (thebloggess.com) and found a couple amusing things and then followed a link to her pinterest and decided that this lady has some pretty sweet style and my kind of humor. The problem is that in her memoir she has these long rambling almost incoherent moments that are just completely irrelevant to the story she's telling. She has a lot of notes and asides to her editor and in my opinion most of them should've just been left out. A few were funny but not funny enough to warrant distracting the reader from the task at hand, namely, getting to the fucking point. And that's where she started to piss me off, with those stories where she'd start off with some over-exaggerated superfluous statement (like, this one time I got mauled by a bear while putting out a forest fire) which ended up being a complete and total lie to pull you into the story which ultimately ended up being an anticlimactic disappointment (actually, it was just my dog licking my leg while I was frying bacon on the stove).

Other than that though, the woman knows how to tell a funny story. And she's actually very relatable, in a quirky, weird, I-hide-in-the-bathroom-at-parties-too kind of way. [Although, there's no way in hell a person with an anxiety disorder as severe as she claims to have would ever call attention to herself as much as this woman does. Anxious, anti-social people don't do that on principle. Because it would freak us the fuck out. Unless it's a side effect of her medication, and then I guess I can let this discrepancy slide.] Also, Jenny ended up teaching me some invaluable lessons. A big one being that when you have a baby they have to literally sew your vagina back up. I'm adding that to the top of my list of reasons not to have kids. I also learned a lot about taxidermy and now I'm strangely attracted to the idea of having a dead animal or two in my house (just tiny cute ones though - and they have to be in a costume, otherwise it's weird). A baby deer in a flowery dress or something would be awesome.

Overall, I'd recommend this book if you're looking for an entertaining memoir. It's the funniest one I've read since [b:Bossypants|9476337|Bossypants|Tina Fey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1307825121s/9476337.jpg|14302659]. I would warn you that you're likely to get annoyed at some point but the chuckles you'll get out of it are definitely worth it. Also, if you're offended by talk of vaginas or the rampant use of profanity, this is not your book.