The Fault in Our Stars - John Green Okay, so I finished this in practically two days after like a month of absolutely no time for reading, so that should tell you something about how good it was (or at least how much it sucks you into the story). I had a hunch about how it would end (and I was almost completely right) but I just had to know what happened - would it end the same way as An Imperial Affliction? (I was gonna be so pissed if it did) I was also expecting to cry but sadly did not; there was just a wee bit of puddling in my eyeballs. I was admittedly slightly distracted by dogs begging for pets with sad eyes, but anyway, I digress.

The Fault in Our Stars is about this girl named Hazel who has greatly beaten her odds by surviving Stage IV thyroid cancer to the age of sixteen with the help of a new miracle drug called Phalanxifor. At a support group meeting she meets dreamboat Augustus Waters, who has survived osteosarcoma after the amputation of his leg. They are both intelligent, profound, sharp-witted teenagers with philosophical musings abounding between the pair of them. Usually in books and movies, precocious, beyond-his/her-years children annoy the hell out of me. The only other book I can think of where this didn't bother me is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which I loved (although I caught a snippet of the movie version where Oskar was having a little monologue and I had to change the channel, so maybe I can only handle these children in the constructs of my own mind and not in real life or cinema). So the language thing took some getting used to, but after a while it didn't bother me anymore. These kids have been at death's doorstep for a while and I can understand how that would make them more poetic and deep. Overall, I thought it was a lovely and moving love story and I really enjoyed John Green's writing and sense of humor. I'm looking forward to reading more from him and have already requested Looking for Alaska from my library. Hopefully that'll be more good stuff.