Bossypants - Tina Fey I’ve never been a fan of audio books – I much prefer being able to hold and smell the book and see my progress by comparing the thickness of the pages in each hand. Plus I'm not coordinated enough to listen to audio books while driving, and I think that’s when most people actually listen to them (on their commutes to and from work and running errands). I’ve tried that a couple of times and I’ve discovered that my brain just cannot handle that many things going on at once, and in the interest of the safety of the pedestrians and fellow motor vehicle operators around me it’s best that I just read my books in the safety of my own home (or office cubicle). So, a multitasker I am not. Yet somehow I was able to handle listening to this and walking on the treadmill at the same time (huzzah!). I figured if I can handle listening to music on my iPod while working out, surely I can process audio books whilst feeling the burn. Yay, now cardio doesn’t suck as much! The only bad thing about it is that this book was so hilarious (for the first half at least) that I had to try my damnedest to hold in my bursts of laughter and snorts so that I didn’t look like a crazy bitch on a treadmill, sweating and laughing maniacally.

This was a definite 5 star book in my mind up until about the second half/last third of the book, when she started talking about 30 Rock. I've never really liked 30 Rock (I'll watch it if nothing else is on, but I'm not going to be disappointed if I miss an episode). So when she went to such lengths to describe every tiny minute detail of the show, from its inception as an idea to give her something to do while on sabbatical, to the casting, to the reception, and how everyone thought it was such an offbeat indie darling, Tina lost me. I started zoning out and getting bored and sad that I would end up having to give her 4 stars. I guess if I had a hard copy of the book I could have flipped past all these episode synopses and favorite quotes, but since I am a novice to these newfangled high-tech mp3 audio books I just couldn't risk losing my place entirely. So, long story short, if you're a die-hard fan of 30 Rock you will absolutely love this book. If not, then you're probably just going to really like it.

Unlike 30 Rock, I've always loved Saturday Night Live. It was a really big deal finally being old enough to be allowed to stay up late watching SNL with my dad, so I have happy memories associated with it. In my opinion, SNL isn't nearly as funny today as it used to be, but I digress. What I'm trying to say is that Tina Fey is kind of like the Gilda Radner or Lucille Ball of my generation. And I grew up loving her. Fey is an intelligent, funny, confident woman, and a great role model for girls and women alike. In her book, she gives anecdotes and tips on surviving in the workplace (specifically show biz), improving your beauty regime (ha), coping with adversity and traumatic events, the joys of parenthood, and overall just being awesome. All of this is discussed with her usual quirky sense of humor and funny asides. She is the poster girl for accepting who you are and embracing it. She isn't afraid to tell you about all the things that made her a very awkward teenager (boobs up to her collar bone, eyebrows out to there, pale skin and brown hair in a sea of blonde tanned bimbos) - she just tells you how it is and says go fuck yourself if you don't like it. She is Bossypants. And she is the shit. I highly recommend the audio book version of this. I don't know how well her patented sarcasm would come across as words on paper, but with the audio version you can hear all her cracks and seriousness and passion vividly. It's like having her as a voice in your head. And that sounds weird and possibly creepy, but it's a good thing, I assure you.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, crotch biscuits are the wobbly triangles of fat on one's inner thigh. So now you know an awesome new term, thanks to the lovely T-Fey.