The Uncoupling - Meg Wolitzer It wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t great. A mediocre story about a mysterious enchantment that takes place when the new drama teacher picks the classical Greek play “Lysistrata” (the one where all the women refuse to have sex with their husbands until they end the Peloponnesian War). Leading up to the high school students’ performance of the play, a mysterious and chilly cloud takes all the women of Stellar Plains, NJ into its midst. The spell makes them lose all sexual desire and leaves them cold and distant to their husbands and lovers.

This was a neat premise and overall the book was pretty interesting. I did want to know how it turned out for all of the town’s inhabitants. There were some lovely metaphors and turns of phrase, but it seemed like Wolitzer was trying to critique and satire far too much all at once. Sex and its influence and power; the war in Iraq; the disconnect between teenagers and parents today; the takeover of electronics; marital issues and others that I can’t remember now. Her clues started out understated and persuasive but eventually my head started to hurt from being beaten over and over again with her unabashed social and political evaluations. It all just started getting jumbled and taking over the plot line. I think that might be one of the main reasons the characters were left so underdeveloped. By having to go from house to house checking on the effects of the curse and how it’s affected each person’s world, I wasn’t given enough time to develop empathy (or any feelings really) for any of them. Towards the end I kept thinking, “who’s she talking about now?” because I couldn’t place the character’s name with their story. I did enjoy whoever was reading this audiobook though. She did a great job inflecting and differentiating between all the characters (even though all the men sounded very similar). So I won’t give up on audiobooks quite yet.