Emily and Einstein - Linda Francis Lee I received this book after winning it in the First Reads giveaway. Thanks, Goodreads, for the opportunity to read and review it!

At first, I didn’t understand the pair of men’s loafers when I received this book in the mail. But now that I get it, this cover art is just that much better and sweeter. Emily & Einstein is the story of a young, newly married couple in New York who are quickly torn apart by the husband’s (Sandy’s) death via an out of control taxi. Emily, the newly widowed wife of Sandy, is left to fend for herself as her in-laws threaten to take away her marital home (which Sandy conveniently forgot to leave to her in his will, even though he promised to do so) and her perception of what she thought was a blissful marriage comes crashing down around her after finding her deceased husband’s journals filled with accounts of his infidelity.

In comes a sort of modern-day Ghost of Christmas Present (an old man with white hair dressed in period clothing, always referred to as simply “old man”), to give Sandy (a contemporary Scrooge, if you will) a second chance. With a flick of his wrists (or however this particular wizard/angel works), the old man turns Sandy into an old dog named Einstein. Emily ends up adopting him from the shelter and Sandy is told to somehow help Emily so that he may move on from his dog body to something better.

The main characters are overall pretty likeable (aside from the douchebag that is Sandy), but they definitely could’ve been developed a lot more, maybe with more stories about how Emily and her sister interacted with their mother. I didn’t feel too much for any of the characters but I definitely wanted to see how it ended, no matter how predictable it was. The best way I can think of to describe this book is that it’s perfect for a Lifetime Channel movie. It has a strong beautiful female protagonist who ends up conquering it all in spite of everything crashing down around her, a bastard of a cheating husband who’s easy to hate, talking ghosts and animals, and a feel-good ending that makes you proud to be a woman. Hell, they could probably just use the dialogue from the book as a script, film it, and it’s good to go.